FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS @ ITORI-festour
The Fatai Rolling Dollar legend sounds a genuine semblance to the Ibrahim Ferrer story. Born on the 22nd July, 1928 in Lagos, prince of a royal family, Fatai Olayiwola Olagunju is originally from Ede, a Yoruba town of south western Nigeria lying on the Osun, the river famously linked to Yemoja, the river goddess. He attended schools in Lagos and was later to move to Ede at the age of sixteen, on the death of his father. Showing a rebellious streak at an early age, he allowed himself to be drawn towards music.
In 1957 he formed an eight-piece band called Fatai Rolling Dollar and his African Rhythm Band, and they recorded numerous seven-inch singles for Phillips West Africa Records. In this line-up was a young budding star, Ebenezer Obey, who played Maracas in the band. They had some hits with Phillips, then decamped to Jofabro/EMI where they recorded over one hundred and fifty singles and had many hits for the company including "Sisi Jaiye Jaiye" and "Won Bumi".
Eventually Ebenezer left with six members of the band to form his own group with its own fresh style, adding more instruments including talking drums and slide guitar. Fatai thereafter reformed and renamed the band Fatai Rolling Dollar and his New Millennium Band.
In the late sixties, a sweeping change was going through the Nigerian music scene. A new corps of Nigerian musicians appeared on the scene, in particular Ebenezer Obey and King Sunny Ade, who had both benefited from Fatai's musical inspiration. They took the country by storm as the fortune of musicians like Fatai Rolling Dollar dwindled.
In order to keep afloat in the music business, Fatai decided to start a musical equipment rental service. Obey, on his return from touring abroad, actually helped Fatai by giving him some musical equipment to add to his own stock. Fatai's house was a few doors down from the Kalakuta Republic (a compound) at Moshalashi, owned by the young, up and coming Nigerian superstar, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti.
Fela's Kalakuta Republic was situated in the Moshalashi suburb and his celebrated nightclub, The Shrine, also situated in this area at the Empire Hotel. The infamous invasion of the surrounding area of Kalakuta Republic and the consequent inferno that ravaged the lot had devastating consequences for Fatai whose means of livelihood was largely destroyed. Whatever could be savaged of the equipment also ended up in the hands of looters who took advantage of the situation.
With his livelihood in ruins, Fatai moved a few miles away to Mushin, with his wife and five children.
WIN, an acronym for
"What Is New"
is a comprehensive multimedia services package for maximum news distribution across several media channels via WIN TV, exclusively dedicated for New Media production and Broadcating
It's will interest you
- fatai rolling dollars...last graveside - festour
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS IS DEAD ! - FESTOUR
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS, DURO IKUJENYO'S TRIBUTE - FESTOUR
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS ON FIRE-festour
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS LIVE..WON KERE SI NUMBA - FESTOUR
- ADUKE - FAREWELL TO FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS - FESTOUR
- Pa Fatai Rolling Dollar Exclusive Burial - Festour
- PMAN vs Nollywood, World Class Match for Fatai Rolling Dollars - Festour
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS, GOOD NIGHT - FESTOUR
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS - 'OMOOBA' - FESTOUR
- Jimi Solanke Fatai Rolling Dollar's Tribute - Festour
- Kabiesi's Tribute to Fatai Rolling Dollar at World Music Day - Festour
- Aduke's Tribute Song to Fatai Rolling Dollar2 - Festour
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLARS, FAREWELL FROM JIMI SOLANKE & DEJUMO LEWIS
- Afropolitan Vibes' Tribute To Fatai Rolling Dollar
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - Tribute Mix (Dj Vince Gbenga)
- Fatai Rolling Dollar / Harbors Band - Easy Motion Tourist (Audio)
- Sunny Ade Jams with Fatai Rolling Dollars
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - She Go Run Away (Audio)
- GLORY SUPER KID @ COSON - FESTOUR
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - She Go Run Away / Omo Lere Aiye (Audio)
- Fatai Rolling Dollar perfroms "Won Kere Si Number Wa"
- Lagbaja Lady Dance Hot Dance For Fatai Rolling Dolla - FESTOUR
- Fatai Rolling Dollars (Top 5)
- WORLD MUSIC DAY..Fatai Rolling Dollars
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - Sisi Jaiye Jaiye / Saworo (Audio)
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - Eko Akete (Agidigbo Blues)
- Won Bu Mi - Fatai Rolling Dollar and Opotopo
- Entertainment News: Pa Fatai Olayiwole Olagunju (A.K.A) Fatai Rolling Dollar
- Styleh Ft Fatai Rolling Dollar(IWO NI )
- FATAI ROLLING DOLLAR'S LAST INTERVIEW
- Fatai Rolling Dollars serenades Victor Olaiya.
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - Saworo
- F atai Rolling Dollar-Wonkere Si Number
- Behind the music with Highlife legend Fatai Rolling Dollar
- Quintessential Sunny Melody's tribute to Late Pa Fatai Rolling Dollar
- Jojo at Fatai Rolling Dollar's Tribute
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - May His Soul Rest in Perfect Peace
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - To Ba Fe Mo Dollar (band & acoustic)
- Fatai rolling dollars live in America
- Fatai Rolling Dollar If You Marry Taxi Driver
- OMO OLOYE - FATAI ROLLING DOLLAR
- CULTURAL ICON-FATAI ROLLING DOLLAR
- Fatai Rolling Dollar - Iya Mi
- Late Pa Fatai Rolling Dollar on His Life Before Death Struck
- Rolling Dollar Omo Oba - Festour
- A Brief Story about the rise of Fatai Rolling Dollar
- RIP Baba Fatai Rolling Dollars
- Fatai Rolling Dollar -Beleke